• A 17-year-old female reported Tuesday that three black females assaulted her in the 1100 block of Park Lane. She told police that she was walking down Park Lane when the three females confronted her and started hitting her with their fists and feet. She reported that one of the females grabbed a broken piece of chair and started hitting her several times. The teenager sustained a swollen and bleeding lip and a knot on her left chin, the report states. Emergency Medical Services arrived on the scene and transported the teenager to Tift Regional Medical Center. The report states that the offenders were last seen leaving the scene in a small blue car.
• A man reported Monday that he discovered that the panel of several mailboxes had been jimmied open at Meadowwood Apartments on North Tift Avenue, revealing all of the contents. The report states that it was unknown at the time if any of the tenants were missing items from their mailboxes.
TIFTON POLICE DEPT.
Rena Renee Saunders, 40, 382 Highway 125 S., was charged Wednesday with driving with a suspended or revoked license.
Alicia Aubrianna Singleton, 17, 1311 Daniel Lane, was charged Wednesday with two counts of simple battery.
TIFT CO. SHERIFF’S OFFICE
James Joseph Lunsford, 42, 115 W. 11th St., was charged Tuesday with driving with a suspended or revoked license, speeding, operation of vehicle on approach violation and failure to maintain lane.
Xavier Omar McWhorter, 26, 2509 Amherst St., Brunswick, was charged Wednesday with a probation violation and abandonment of dependent child support.
Hector Javie Nunez-Almaguer, 36, 134 Hardy Ave., Omega, was charged Tuesday with a safety restraint violation and driving with an expired license.
Craig Chappell Samuel, 53, St. Petersburg, Fla., was charged Monday with DUI, an open container violation, failure to maintain lane and improper lane change.
Ronald Lee Sutton, 47, 2516 Jack Glover Lane, was charged Wednesday with a probation violation.
GEORGIA STATE PATROL
Teresa Woodard Day, 48, 42 Paradise Lake Road, was charged Wednesday with missing tail/tag lights and driving with a suspended or revoked license.
Candi Leigh Ramirez, 22, 1425 Sutton Circle, Lot E, was charged Wednesday with driving with a suspended or revoked license and failure to yield at yield sign.
- Local News
County millage rate remains same
Tift County Commissioners voted unanimously in a called meeting Tuesday to keep the millage rate set at 12.183 for both incorporated and unincorporated areas of the county.Continued ...
The rate was set at .312 mills for the Special Services Tax District, which includes Ty Ty and Omega.
- GEMA study reveals increased emergency preparedness across state
- Gazette captures GPA Awards
- Fitzgerald juvenile on the loose
- Man airlifted in Ocilla after being trapped in silo
- County millage rate remains same
- Local Sports
The southern half of the 1962 Class AA girls state hoops tournament was played in Fitzgerald, despite Fitzgerald having dropped their girls program in 1957.
Girls basketball had long road to equality
When Georgia decided in 1945 to play a girls state basketball tournament, Macon Telegraph writer Sam Glassman was in favor, writing that the district tournaments that had always been held were just as strenuous. Days later, though, he wondered about the mental strain it was causing the players.
- Kilgore resigns baseball post at ABAC
- TCRD hosting pair of hardball tournaments
- Future Devils learn the ropes at ESMS
- Tidal Wave takes third triumph at Georgia Games
- Girls basketball had long road to equality
Southern problems...some folks got’em
I was able to take a trip down to Tampa this past weekend with my mom to see my niece in her dance recital.We didn’t get to see her dance in her recital. She kept saying she was sick, and we all kept saying, “You’ll be OK...it’s just nerves.”
- Rants & Raves – June 19
- Rants & Raves - June 18
- Angye Morrison column: How different life would have been
- Letter to the Editor – Turn to the airwaves when danger threatens
- Southern problems...some folks got’em
- Police Reports
- Your Agenda